Monday, January 5, 2009

I couldn't wait to get out. I hated growing up in my hometown, going to school in my hometown, and going to college in my hometown. Once I had my degree, I was outta there. Or so I thought. In my final semester at college, I had a job offer that would keep me in this small midwestern community. I dismissed it at first -- this would ruin my chance to get out and go to the big city (Chicago, Minneapois, New York or anywhere but here). But someone special to me that I had met in collge settled here. My family was here. So, I rationalized that I would accept the job for a short amount of time, get some experience, and then relocate and fulfill my dreams later.

Well, it's 20 years later, and I'm still here. And I don't regret a single moment of it. I married that someone special and we started a wonderful family. That entry level job opened up unbelievable opportunities for me with other local firms. We have a great house that we'd never be able to afford in a big city, and are able to travel often. So maybe someday I'll eventually make it out of here, retiring to a larger metro area -- but for now, there really is no place like home.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: